Monday 21 October 2013

Adios, MTC!  Hola, SLC East!


Dear Everyone,
I am super excited to be here! So I know it isn't Spain, and it was a little disappointing at first, but I am glad I am here. I am in another tri. With zone leaders. And apparently that's rare. I was told that zone leaders never train. And it's never a trio. But there hasn't been a lot of normal things about my mission so far. Most companionships cover a stake or 2 in our zone. But we cover 2 branches. The Spanish and the Portuguese branch. My companion Elder Reiff is from California and served 15 months in Manaus Brazil, so he speaks fluent Portuguese. Then he got reassigned up here. I don't know how or why that happened. My other companion, Elder Allen is from Kentucky and is Spanish speaking, so he speaks pretty good. Better than me at least. They have both been out for 16 months. I had my first baptism of my mission on Saturday. He's a 26 year old guy from Brazil named Edgard. He was so excited to be baptized. Part of the perks of covering both the Spanish and Portuguese branches is the food. I get to have some pretty good food from both cultures. One of the foods I get a lot of is feijoada, which is beans and rice and some other stuff in it. It's pretty good. It's a Brazilian dish. A challenge I have been having is understanding the Portuguese. I can understand Spanish pretty well, but I only understand 20% of the Portuguese that is spoken. I know that is the gift of the interpretation of tongues though to be able to understand even that much. Sometimes I can understand all of what they say for 5, 10 minutes at a time. I am thankful for all the gifts I have and I am hopeful for my visa, but I wouldn't mind staying here for a little bit longer. Ok, so some fun facts about my mission. It covers from Temple Square to the middle of Wyoming. I am currently serving in Salt Lake/ Holladay area. Our area covers the prophet's house and the building that our Spanish branch is in is also home to the ward of which John Bytheway is bishop. So apparently my companions see him every so often. I haven't yet though. Also, a lot of General Authorities come to talk to the mission, but I haven't been here long enough yet. Anyway, that's it until next time.
I forgot to give my mailing address for at least the next 5 weeks (unless I get my visa, which you will hear about). It's 2625 E Solar Dr, Apt 41, Salt Lake City UT, USA, 84124

No comments:

Post a Comment